Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Animal Cargo
by priscilla brett

Day 73

The cows are mumbling something about the hay tasting funny. I keep telling them I don't care. They don't care, that I don't care. They just keep talking.

That old nag in the corner looks like she'll die any day. Her horn is so clear I can see her mate through it. They should've brought a younger female. I don't think she's going to make it. The stag and doe have been sharing their rations with her. But I don't think it's helping.

That bald ape and his young keep bringing me seeds. Oh God, what I'd give for a bloody cricket. Just one fat, plump, juicy cricket. Teach me for landing in an apes had to eat. Cluck you, here you go, a cage and some leftover seeds.

And a mate who speaks a different dialect.

Really? They couldn't even find a dove that spoke the same Coo as me? At least she's pretty. What a breast!!


Day 120

The ducks are fighting again. The Wistlers and the Scoters can't get along. The females are the worst, they have two hatches of chicks each and with each hatch, they are running out of room. Everyone is in everyone else's space now.

The bald ape child came and took another one of the domestic ducks. He never came back. They never come back.

"Maybe he escaped" the chickens keep saying.

I don't think he escaped. I don't think anyone escapes this palce.

This chick is getting to me. She keeps cooing at me. Like suddenly I'm going to understand her or something. Dumb broad.

I want to peck her face off......

Maybe she'll taste like crickets.


Day 187

The old nag died today. The bald ape child cried when he found her. Kept wailing something about her being his favorite even though she was unclean. His father tried to comfort him as they took her away. He just kept crying.

Now there is only one. I suppose he will be the last. The last of the one-horned horses. Sad. And I would almost care. If this chick would just stop cooing for one flitting second.

One second of peace. That's all I want. I would give the last cricket on earth for her to just shut-up.

The raven in the corner keeps giving me the eye. I think he wants to eat me. Though, I don't think he feels any better, because the condor and his mate are in the next cage and are looking at the raven, the same way as the raven's looking at me.


Day 215

Happy day! Glorious day!! She's gone!! The fat old ape with the beard took her and that blasted raven this morning!! I can't belie the relief. I couldn't take any more.

I had been thinking about killing myself. I couldn't bring myself to kill her and I just couldn't take it anymore. I was at my breaking point.

No comments:

Post a Comment